Scholarships & Awards
Determine Eligibility and Review Scholarship List
Before reviewing the FIN Scholarship List, please read the following eligibility requirements. All FIN students must:
- If you are applying for a need-based scholarship, have a current year FASFA on file (with valid signatures) before submitting an online application. Applications with “incomplete” FAFSAs will not be considered. FAFSA information is available on the University Scholarships and Financial Aid website (International students will file an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) Calculator in lieu of a FAFSA with the same deadline.
- Consider the following:
- Scholarship Criteria: Compare your qualifications with the criteria listed for each individual scholarship, and then select only the scholarships for which you meet the requirements. Students may and should apply for multiple scholarships.
- Scholarship Type: All scholarships are awarded to the top candidates that meet the respective criteria (i.e., merit, preferences, need-based, etc.). Note that scholarships marked “need-based/FAFSA required” will be awarded ONLY to those students with documented financial-need, as determined by results of the current year FAFSA (or EFC calculator for international students).
- Student Class Level: To properly award scholarships, class level is determined by credits.
All recipients selected by the Department Awards Committee in consultation with the Department Head, except as noted.
- Finance Student of the Year: Awarded based on academic merit. (plaque only, no financial award)
- Finance Service Award: Awarded based on evidence of departmental service combined with an outstanding academic record.
- Finance Leadership Award: Awarded based on evidence of leadership combined with an outstanding academic record.
- CFI Financial Advisors Senior Award: One or two awards to recognize a student who has excelled in the CFP® option. Selected by outside review board.
- Rembert, Pendleton & Jackson Outstanding Senior Award: One or two awards to recognize a student who has excelled in the CFP® option. Selected by outside review board.
All recipients must be primary Finance majors. Recipients may be in any option, unless otherwise noted. All recipients selected by the Department Awards Committee in consultation with the Department Head.
- Accenture Scholarship: A scholarship awarded based on academic merit.
- BASIS GEM Scholarship: A scholarship created and funded by alumni to reward students for the high quality of their performance and substantial contributions to BASIS. One award each year to a member of BASIS with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA to help defray costs of tuition. Preference given to recipients who continue to qualify. Nominations by BASIS Executive Committee members and awarded by faculty advisors.
- Emily Caldwell Morrison Memorial Scholarship: One or two scholarships given to an undergraduate Finance major who is currently in their sophomore or junior year.
- Scott and Vicki Culbreth Endowed Scholarship: One or two scholarships awarded to an undergraduate Finance student.
- Dennis and Susan Duncan Banking and Real Estate Finance Scholarship: One or two scholarships based on academic achievement with preference given to students with an interest in banking and real estate and a preference for students: 1.) With an interest in banking and real estate, 2.) a preference for from Giles or Culpepper Counties.
- Korte Family Scholarship: One or two scholarships based on academic achievement and Virginia residence.
- Jacob Lutz III Scholarship: One or two scholarships awarded to Virginia residents based on academic achievement and GPAs of 3.0 or higher.
- Outstanding Rising Senior Scholarship: One or more scholarships for rising seniors based on academic achievement and evidence of leadership.
- Outstanding Rising Junior Scholarship: One or more scholarships for a rising junior based on academic achievement and evidence of leadership.
- Curtis A. and June Haworth Thompson Scholarship: One scholarship awarded to a rising senior majoring in Finance based on academic achievement and leadership potential.
- SEED Investment Management Scholarship: one scholarship awarded to a SEED student. Preference based on demonstrated excellence in academic pursuits and have demonstrated an interest or experience in investment management.
- Sunita and Rajan Vaswani Scholarship: One or two scholarships awarded to an undergraduate Finance student with the preference for the FinTech Option.
- Wells Fargo Leadership Development Scholarship: One or two scholarships based on academic achievement and leadership potential with a preference for previous recipients who continue to qualify.
All recipients must be in CFP® Option
- Financial Planning Alumni Scholarship: One scholarship awarded on the basis of the applicant’s story about the significant improvement in academic, professional, and/or personal commitment and achievement since enrolling in the Financial Planning Program.
- Financial Planning Association (FPA) of Central Virginia Scholarship: One scholarship awarded for extracurricular leadership, community service, and academic achievement. Applicants must be a member of the Financial Planning Association.
- McCarthy, Mannen, Daniel, Meth, and Williamson Ameriprise Financial Advisors Scholarship: One scholarship awarded to students with financial need and demonstrated academic achievement.
- Judith A. Orell Financial Planning Scholarship: Multiple scholarships awarded on the basis of an essay about the applicant’s personal experience with end of life issues and and/or interest, as a financial planner in helping clients understand and prepare for end-of-life care decisions and costs.
- Rebeka Ruth Becks Financial Planning Scholarship: One or more scholarships awarded on the basis of an essay about the role of financial planning in helping families with children to accomplish goals over the life cycle.
- Verus Financial Partners Financial Planning Scholarship: One scholarship awarded to a rising senior. Preference given to a student pursuing a double-major with accounting although this is not a requirement to apply.
- Wealthstream Advisors Financial Planning Scholarship: One scholarship awarded on the basis of the applicant’s short essay describing WHY he/she chose to study financial planning and/or pursue a career in financial planning. Applicants must have a minimum overall 3.0 GPA to apply for this scholarship.
|Scholarship/Award Name||Student||Year Awarded|
|Finance Student of the Year||Emma Roby||2022|
|Finance Leadership & Service Award||Mattia Anderson, Chase Stone, Derek Stoughton||2022|
|Meir I. Schneller Teaching Excellence Award||Ruiyao Zhu, Sara Easterwood||2022|
|The BASIS STAR Award||Julio Villarroel||2022|
|Mike Clarke Credit Careers Scholarship||Caitlin Nguyen||2022|
|CFI Financial Advisors Senior Award||Garrett Scranton||2022|
|Rembert Pendleton Jackson Senior Award||Lucas Campbell, Kyle Eagle, Jacob Siuta||2022|