Welcome to Virginia Tech's Department of Finance, Insurance and Business Law. Whether you are a student, parent, alumnus, employer, faculty member or potential research partner, we encourage you to spend time on our website and learn more about our department and what we have to offer.
We are the largest department in Virginia Tech's Pamplin College of Business, with over 20 full-time faculty members serving over 900 undergraduate students. In a typical year, our department awards more than 300 Bachelor's degrees (including double majors). We also have an active Ph.D. program and support the university's various MBA programs in Northern Virginia, Richmond and Roanoke.
- The university has approved "Real Estate Finance" as a new option in Finance! This option satisfies the requirements for a double major in Finance and Real Estate without the necessity of taking any additional courses.
- Pamplin's Department of Finance is ranked #5 in the nation by Collegechoice.net's Best Bachelor's In Finance Degree Programs, 2016
- The Department would like to welcome Roger Edelen and Nikos Artavanis!
- The Department of Finance congratulates John Pinkerton award of emeritus status!
- Art Keown was the commencement speaker for the university this past fall 2017!
- Tracy Castle-Newman has been listed as one of 100 most powerful people in finance!
- Finance alumni won all awards announced by the Pamplin Society at the Pamplin Advisory Council dinner! They are:
- Rising Alumni Award: Bobby Bal, 2010 FIN
- Rising Alumni Award: Christina Todd, 2009 FIN, Member of the Finance Advisory Board
- Rising Alumni Award: Ashton Wilson, 2007 FIN
- Mentoring Award: Nick Cullen, 1991 FIN, Member of the Finance Advisory Board
- Ut Prosim Service Award: TJ Loeffler, 2011 FIN.
Faculty Journal Acceptances
Dr. Andrew MacKinlay - Review of Financial Studies - 2018
• "Housing Price Booms and Crowding-Out Effects in Bank Lending", with Ambrus and Jarrad Harford
Dr. Sattar Mansi - Journal of Corporate Finance - 2017
• "Do Long-Term Investors Improve Corporate Decision Making?", with Indraneel Chakraborty and Itay Goldstein
Dr. Jin Xu - Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis - 2017
• “Taxes, Capital Structure Choices, and Equity Value", with Mara Faccio
Dr. Brad Paye - 2017
• "Micro(structure) before macro? The predictive power of aggregate illiquidity for stock returns and economic activity," with Yong Chen, and Greg Eaton
Dr. Vijay Singal- Journal of Fimacial Economics - 2016
• “Comovement Revisited," with Honghui Chen, and Robert Whitelaw.
Dr. Gregory Kadlec - Journal of Financial Economics - 2015
• “Institutional investors and asset pricing anomalies,” with Ozzie Ince, and Roger Edelen.
Dr. Jin Xu- Journal of Financial Economics - 2015
• “Golden hellos: Signing bonuses for new top executives,” with Jun Yang.
Dr. Pengfei Ye - Journal of Financial Economics - 2015
• "Relative peer quality and firm performance" with Bill B. Francis, Iftekar Hasan and Sureshbabu Mani.
Latest Pamplin Tweets